Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Dilemma

I have a confession: my house is a mess and I really don't want to clean it. I could do it, but I'd rather go to a knitting group, take my kids to the park, read a good book or have a nap than scrub toilets or mop floors. Am I wrong?

The dilemma: I am thinking of hiring a cleaning service, but it seems so extravagant. We are not rich, far from it, in fact, we have 2 kids in day care in Ann Arbor, a mortgage and I only work part time, but I feel it would be worth a bit of sacrifice to have more time for other things. SO why this guilt? Am I taking something away from my kids? Actually, no I will be giving them more of my time, which is more precious than anything money can buy. I guess I was raised with the mentality of "why pay for something you can do your self?"

Thoughts, anyone? Anyone in the Ann Arbor area have a good cleaning service recommendation?

Update: In the end, we decided we're going to clean the house ourselves, boo hoo. I think we just prefer to spend the money on other things and live in a dirtier house, so be sure not to come over unannounced!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ya know, at one point my hubby offered to hire a cleaning service since we both worked full time & hated cleaning, and I turned it down because of nasty comments by so called friends. I was embarrassed that we could afford it even though we are far from rich. I've regretted it ever since.

I think you should do it and don't let anyone guilt you about it! :)

Ingrid Hendy said...

I think about it on a regular basis because I could be spending my valuable time knitting ahem I mean working instead of cleaning. I'm waiting for the month when we have paid down our debts enough to afford it.

Denise said...

I used to clean houses as a teenager (ugh) and I was quite the snoop, so I don't really *trust* anyone to clean my house, KWIM?

Someone gave me the GREATEST quote when Tess was a baby, "Clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy" and that has been my motto ever since.

As long as my kitchen and bathroom are cleaned once a month, and we hit the middle with the vacuum now and then, I'm good.

But man, I hate the dusting...